Visa is one of the types of documents proving your legality when temporarily residing in Vietnam. However, for some reason, you are unable to renew your visa, which leads to the expiration of the visa? Here’s some information you need to know when your visa is overdue.
Penalties for overdue visas
Pursuant to Decree No. 167/2013/ND-CP, overdue visa holders will be fined on a case-by-case basis:
- Fines shall be imposed on foreigners using temporary residence certificates, temporary residence cards or permanent residence cards in Vietnam beyond the time limit of 15 days or less without the permission of competent authorities;
- Fines shall be imposed on foreigners who use temporary residence certificates, temporary residence cards or permanent residence cards in Vietnam beyond the time limit of 16 days or more without the permission of competent authorities.
In addition, depending on the extent of the violation, the sanction of expulsion from the Socialist Republic of Vietnam (for example, the subject has a long visa overdue or repeated violation).
Can an overdue visa be renewed?
Pursuant to the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit and Residence of Foreigners in Vietnam in 2014 amended in 2019, expired visas will be considered for granting new visas, not allowed to renew visas.
Conditions for reissueing a visa when the visa is overdue
- The passport has a valid period as prescribed. The passport term must be at least one month longer than the visa period.
- Temporary residence declaration must be declared as prescribed. Can be declared directly at the commune or ward police or declared online.
- Administrative fines have been paid as prescribed.
Visa reissue process
Step 1: Prepare the file
The dossier includes the following documents:
- Visa renewal application form
- Passports and visas in use: Originals
- Temporary residence declaration. Copy.
- Other documents depending on the type of visa: Work permit / Investment Certificate: Certified copy of medicine.
- Some other forms: Referrals, overdue reasons.
Step 2: Apply
The application is submitted at the Immigration Department of the province or centrally-affiliated city where you are residing.
Step 3: Get the results
On the date of appointment, bring the receipt, ID/CCCD to pay the fee and sign the results.
Here are the overdue visa rules that you need to know about. The law provides for penalties for overdue visas for foreigners, even deportation if serious acts are committed. Therefore, you should pay attention to the visa’s deadline to renew the visa on time. If you have any questions, please contact hotline (033) 534 4640 for advice and support quickly. Thanhlap.wacontre.com service is always ready to serve customers in the most enthusiastic and effective way. (For Japanese customers can contact via Hotline: (050) 5534 5505.)