A work permit is a type of legal paperwork issued by a competent authority in Vietnam that allows foreigners to work legally in Vietnam. According to Article 19, Decree No. 152/2020/ND-CP, foreigners can only carry out procedures for extension of work permits once for a maximum period of 2 years.
Conditions for extension of work permits
– Work permits that have been issued are valid for at least 05 days but not more than 45 days.
– To be approved by a competent authority for the use of foreign workers.
– Documents proving that the foreign worker continues to work for the employer according to the contents of the work permit issued.
Order of extension of work permit
– At least 05 days before the expiration date of the work permit, the employer must submit a request for extension of the work permit to the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs or the Department of Labor and Social Affairs that has issued such work permits.
– Within 05 working days after receiving the full dossier of request for extension of work permit, the Ministry of Labor and Social Affairs or the Department of Labor and Social Affairs extend the work permit. In case of not renewing the work permit, there is a written reply and clearly state the reason.
– For foreign workers working in Vietnam under labor contracts, after foreign workers are renewed their work permits, employers and foreign workers must sign a written labor contract in accordance with Vietnamese labor law before the expected date of continuing to work for the employer. labour.
The employer must send the signed labor contract at the request to the competent authority that has renewed such work permit. A labor contract is an original or certified copy.
According to Article 17 of Decree 152/2020, the application for extension of work permits includes the following documents:
– Written request for extension of the employer's work permit
– 02 color photos (size 4cm x 6cm, bare head, face, clear face, clear ears, no glasses, white font), photos taken no more than 06 months up to the time of application)
– 01 original or certified copy of the work permit that has been issued.
– 01 original or certified copy of the document approving the need to employ foreign workers unless the need to employ foreign workers is not required.
– Copies with passport certification are valid in accordance with law.
– 01 original or certified copy of health certificate
– One of the documents proving that the foreign worker continues to work for the employer according to the contents of the work permit issued (original or certified copy)
Here are our advice on the procedure for renewing work permits for foreigners. If you have any questions regarding the procedure, call us or leave the information below for specific advice.